Suraiya was born and raised in Vancouver, BC. She received her Bachelors degree in Communications from Simon Fraser University (SFU) and when she realized it was way too rainy in Vancouver made the decision to move to Los Angeles to study design at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM) focusing in Visual Communications. The weather won her over and she remained in LA for nearly a decade working in styling, merchandising, visual design/display and event production. Before working with Zen Genius Suraiya was the Senior Event Producer for Unique Markets and Senior Manager of Retail Design at Forever 21. Suraiya has recently returned to Vancouver and is the Vancouver Ambassador for Fall For Local, a monthly speaker series highlight local entrepreneurs and creatives.
- Visual Merchandising and Styling
- Visual Design & Production
- Senior Event Producer
- Senior Manager of Retail Design
2016-Current: Unique Inc. Senior Event Producer, Los Angeles
- Creates strategy and implement execution of National and International growth.
- Live event management including show execution, design, risk management, budgeting, labor and contract negotiation.
- Establish brand identity. Produce all marketing collateral and ad materials.
- Work with Sponsorship Director to help secure sponsorships and work with sponsors during events.
- Manage and produce all content for website and social media channels, track analytics.
2012: Forever 21 Corporate Senior Retail Design Manager, Los Angeles
- Oversees six teams within the Retail Design department including: Seasonal Windows and Events, Sourcing and Development, New Store Openings and Graphics and the Los Angeles Visual Production Warehouse.
- Works closely with the Marketing, Global Creative, Purchasing, Interior Design, and Visual Operations teams to ensure cohesive visual presentation in over 600 stores worldwide.
- Responsible for the creation of company wide directives and participates in company wide training and new store openings and event production both domestically and internationally.
- Responsible for conceptualizing and execution of cohesive design themes for windows, fixtures, mannequins and interior elements.
2009: Forever 21 Corporate West Coast Visual Display and Merchandise Manager, Los Angeles
- C Responsible for a team of 6-8 display artists and the overall visual presentation of 16 stores in Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego and Las Vegas.
- Conducts research in fashion, design and visual communication trends in order to create window and in store displays every 6-8 weeks in high profile stores.
- Mentors in-store Visual Managers, Merchandisers and Field support to ensure display and placement standards are understood and translated correctly.
- Responsible for writing, photographing and creating the merchandising directives for over 300 hundred stores worldwide.
- Works with buyers to develop trend and merchandising strategies for upcoming seasons.