At ZenGenius, we view sustainability as meeting the needs of our current demands without compromising the needs of future generations. No longer just an industry trend, sustainability in design and office practices has become more and more necessary. It’s good for the environment, people and business, and, at ZenGenius, it’s part of our core values. We understand that the long-term well-being of society and our employees depends upon a sustainable commitment to our environment.
For us, sustainability primarily comes in the form of ‘green’ material specification, office efficiency and recycling. Here are a few of our strategies that can help to make your office more sustainable:
- Recycle all materials that your local recycling facility will accept – make it easy for your staff to recycle by placing a recycling bin at each desk/workstation.
- Purchase office supplies (I.E. paper) that are made from recycled content.
- Reduce paper usage by emailing documents and forms instead of printing them, and only print emails and documents when absolutely necessary.
- If printing is absolutely necessary, ensure that both sides of the paper are utilized in order to reduce overall paper consumption.
- Power off all computers at the end of the day. (TIP: Screen savers do not save energy!)
- Use energy efficient CFL light bulbs instead of traditional incandescent light bulbs.
- Turn off lights in rooms that are not being occupied, as well as at the end of the day.
- Use a filtered drinking water dispenser and reusable cups instead of purchasing bottled water.
- Use environmentally safe hand-wash, detergent and cleaning supplies.
Small steps such as these can help you to not only lower your energy costs, but they can also increase productivity and enhance your brand perception. Be an advocate of sustainable design and practices. Our country, cities, towns, schools, workplaces, retail spaces and homes are depending on it.
What do you know about trash?
The earth is our home. It is where we flourish, create and live our lives. But sadly a preventable practice has risen and continues to disguise the beauty of our planet: Littering.
Only 25 to 55 percent of waste generated in large cities is collected and properly disposed of (The Global Development Research Center).
1.9 billion tons of litter ends up in the ocean every year (Litter. It Cost You.).
95% of the litter on beaches comes from suburban streets through the stormwater system (Litter. It Cost You.).
- The average person generates 4.3 pounds of waste per day. That is 1.6 pounds more than produced back in 1960 (Litter. It Cost You.)
- Average person will walk 12 steps looking for a trashcan before littering (Statistic Brain).
ZenGenius wants to make an impact through The Global Litter Campaign, which influences communities and corporations to make litter control and clean-up both fun and productive. We encourage everyone to be creative with the trash they find and bring beauty back to their environment through unique application and innovative design using litter. It is time to G'litter Done.
To be a part of the cause and get involved, click below.